UiPath Review

What is our primary use case?

We don't have a single primary use case. We use the Orchestrator studio to deploy attended and unattended robots to relieve the workforce of the mundane tasks that they currently do.

What is most valuable?

I don't think there is one most valuable feature. From my viewpoint, Orchestrator is great because I'm able to manage and control the robots and licensing. Obviously Studio is very valuable for our developers because it gives a nice visual way of developing the robots. Of course, the robots themselves do all the work. It is really a package that has to be put together.

What needs improvement?

The Insight product coming out in the next release looks interesting as a management tool, but I haven't dug into it enough to fully appreciate it.

Obviously, the Studio can always be improved. Even though you can drag-and-drop, it's still cumbersome unless you are a programmer. I think the Studio X is going to help tremendously for the citizen developers. I think that is going to be a big benefit in simplifying the interface.

We have been using the product for more than six months.

There are currently four-and-a-half people in the organization involved in the automation project and I think we'll have no problem scaling that up as necessary.

We have used UiPath Academy. In fact, we've actually referred our citizen developers there.

On a scale of one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is very beneficial, I would rate the UiPath Academy about a four. It is specifically for developers, so there is a complexity level there that can take a little bit for say the average user who isn't an expert to get through, but for somebody who's already done development, it's good.

We actually signed up as a premium support member and took out a contract back about four months ago. Christopher Wilkins is our liaison and he's phenomenal. Absolutely any time I called Christopher, he has gone out of his way to help us. He's our success manager.

From the time of purchase to deployment took about six months total. We did a quick prototype that I had spent two months to get it up and running and then it took me six months to clean it up.

I thought that the implementation was complicated but that was because they did the prototype and then handed it off and I had to come in and take the prototype and actually make it work in production.

We run the automation in a virtual environment. It was a bit painful to get it all working. We actually use Citrix VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) environment and the problem with that is it uses a storefront. When you log in, it doesn't know which server you're accessing. UiPath had problems with that, so we had to ditch that attempt. What we're doing is we're using the VDI image just to read and chart virtual machines every four months and using those for our UiPath.

We did use a third party. Our experience with them was good and bad. The young man that came in from the Netherlands was extremely bright, but he was all over the place. So he thought he knew how certain things would work and in reality, they did not. So it was painful because instead of having a methodical way of working through the issues, he was jumping about too much and it didn't go very smoothly.

We don't really have exact numbers for the return on investment right now because we are too early into the process. We are still trying to get the whole organization comfortable with the concept. But you can see the processes have helped reduce human error in the finance area. It has also saved our organization time. Anytime you don't have a person doing the manual work, they can go on to do better things with their time.

What other advice do I have?

I inherited a bit of a mess. On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease of use of the platform for automation as about a three. Most of the problem is with the processes themselves having not been streamlined. So if there is a bad process in place and we still have to automate it, it will still be a bad process.

On the other hand, we do experience performance benefits using the solution. For mundane processes, the people who no longer have to do them because they are automated are extremely happy about that. The benefits were almost immediate. If we had somebody wasting three to four hours producing a single report that we can have a robot do, it's an immediate benefit.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine or ten. I think the product is tremendous. We're still early in the process. As we get into AI, I think it's going to be a tremendous benefit.

My advice to anyone looking into this as a solution is to let somebody else do the deployment. You really have to make sure you understand the infrastructure required to properly scale up the solution. Make sure that you have senior management on board with the concept and then work hard to get citizen champions out there as soon as you can.

Private Cloud
More UiPath reviews from users
...who compared it with Automation Anywhere (AA)
Start Your UiPath Free Trial

Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.