UiPath Review

Drag and drop interface minimizes development time and high-density robots simplify management

What is our primary use case?

In our organization (Global Business Services), we do a lot of automations in the Windows environment. In the past, we've used a lot of VBA macros and VB scripts but maintaining support for more than 1000 macros has become a very difficult task. UiPath, as an end-to-end RPA solution, solves many issues and limitations of the previous setup.

How has it helped my organization?

We were managing more than 1000 VBA macros and we knew there's even more out there in the business. By deploying UiPath bots, we have standardized the automation approach and it also gave us a centralized view and control of all automations deployed on the platform (Orchestrator).

What is most valuable?

The drag and drop interface of Studio is very valuable as it minimizes the development time. The Orchestrator is also a very integral part of the package as it allows us to deploy, monitor, and manage all of the bots in the platform.

The capability of creating and using high-density robots makes management simpler and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The Studio can be improved by adding certain features like color-coding the activities. By letting the user change the color of the activity box (or by having different default colors for each type of activity), it's easier to identify activities especially when they are nested together.

The Orchestrator can be improved by making the landing page dashboard customizable based on what information and stats we want to see as an organization. The stats shown in the Orchestrator dashboard are very basic. Today, we had to make a separate web app that uses the Orchestrator API just to see the data that we want to see in a format that we prefer. Our business needs visibility on which country the failed/pending bots are servicing and how many jobs were completed based on tower assignments. These stats are not available out-of-the-box in Orchestrator.

My organization has been using UiPath for more than a year now.

The system is pretty stable, the only limitation could be the hardware setup. If there is not enough RAM or CPU power on the machines where the bots are running, then it could result in system crashes.

It's very scalable as you can start with one bot and make it do multiple processes. Adding the next bots is easy too.

We have an assigned Customer Success Manager and he has been very helpful. He used to be a senior developer in UiPath and he's very knowledgeable.

UiPath is our first official RPA solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had to build virtual servers and install UiPath in the machines, then opened up a couple of ports in the firewall and we were ready to go.

We implemented using a vendor team and it took longer than expected despite the initially assessed simple approach. Getting the paperwork done and giving the vendor team access to the system probably took longer.

I don't have direct visibility on the ROI as a different team takes care of it, but since we started using UiPath, we have been more stringent on what kind of automation projects we take in as a developer team.

UiPath has a Community version that is totally free (including Orchestrator) and has all the features. Any organization that wants to get into RPA should try that out and then look into the paid version.

We've had a demo by Blue Prism but ultimately we chose UiPath based on the support we received, as well as its capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to use the free Community version extensively and make use of the community forums. The RPA Academy is also a great resource, a one-stop shop to get educated in using UiPath and it's also free. Once your organization is ready to scale and go beyond free, UiPath offers reasonable pricing.

Other
More UiPath reviews from users
...who compared it with Automation Anywhere (AA)
Start Your UiPath Free Trial

Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.