UltraBac Review

Minimizes computer downtime when we have a server or workstation failure

What is most valuable?

Bare Metal disaster recovery with dissimilar hardware restore and physical-to-virtual conversion functionality.

While I rely on image backup for protecting my operating systems against failure and malware infections (like WannaCry, Petya), I backup data partitions using dedicated agents for Exchange and SQL and use UltraBac’s integrated file-by-file capability to select specific files and folders, rather than for images, which is partition level only.

How has it helped my organization?

Minimizes computer downtime when we have a server or workstation failure where we need to recover the operating system to either the same or different hardware.

We have also had occasions where we’ve wanted to convert a physical machine to virtual which is foolproof with UltraBac.

Before using UltraBac, an OS failure could take a day or two to fully recover but now typically takes less than an hour with UBDR Gold’s BDR functionality.

What needs improvement?

UlraBac’s management console running in the cloud.

Since the mid 80’s, when UltraBac provided backup for the Mini Computer Market place for WANG Labs.

UltraBac has been an extremely stable and a reliable BDR product over the years that I have used the product.

None. We have the smallest shop running on UltraBac, as well as the largest Financial Bank Organizations!

World class.

I switched to UltraBac’s BDR solution because of reliability, backup/restore flexibility, and cost.

The download and initial setup for backups are very straightforward. BMR restores with Express Mode are very simple when restoring an Operating System partition image backup to the same place.

The most complex aspect of using the software is creating and testing the emergency boot media required to perform a bare metal disaster recovery which involves downloading Microsoft’s WinPE temporary operating system that’s integrated into UltraBac’s UBDR Gold recovery process.

The number of licenses and agents available from UltraBac are extensive so talking with an expert sales consultant is best to discuss your specific requirements (and budget) because there are usually two or more ways to configure a solution.

As an example, you can configure backups to run from one centralized backup server using remote agents or you can license every machine to run its own backup which eliminates any centralized point-of-failure.

BackupExec, Arcserve, etc.

What other advice do I have?

If you haven’t implemented an image based backup & disaster recovery solution offering a reliable BMR with dissimilar hardware or virtual conversion capability then you should evaluate UltraBac.

UltraBac also offers file-by-file, virtual and cloud backup functionality making it an all inclusive solution that scales from the SMB to the enterprise.