UNICOM System Architect Review

Useful for creating build-outs and architecture views, but requires a publisher add-on for some detailed reports

What is our primary use case?

I'm the manager of my contract division, and my team uses this tool. They talk with different customers, and once they get the information about their as-is architecture, they go in and collect the necessary views, such as service views, distant views, and things like that. We then publish a report for the customer. That's what the tool is used for.

What is most valuable?

It is useful for creating build-outs and architecture views and for publishing reports and stuff like that for different programs.

What needs improvement?

I don't use the tool or know a lot. It is going to have some shortcomings. When it comes down to publishing, we just found out this week that they actually have a publisher add-on. So, what we were trying to publish was not giving a detailed report about the architecture, views, etc. I just wish they had sent these to UNICOM and contacted them about add-on features for the publishing part of the tool.

I have been using this solution since 2018.

For now, it is stable. We had a problem with our environment with the database. So, we are using the tool in standalone mode.

They do tech support. You go to the website, put in your pin, and they come back with an answer. They are quite responsive. I am not sure how other systems or tools work. I know back in the day, you would just pick up a phone, call someone, and put in a ticket. They call you later on.

It was something that was hard leadership. They used to use something called ProVision. This was way before I got into the area. They were making everybody up to a certain level within the organization to swap over to System Architect.

The setup was fine.

I don't remember the price. It is a different cost for just buying it, and then you have a maintenance cost, which you need to renew every year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate System Architect a seven out of ten because I'm not using it much, and I haven't had time to play with the tool. The system manager is more involved with this tool and has more trust in the tool.

11.7
More UNICOM System Architect reviews from users
...who compared it with OpenText ProVision
Find out what your peers are saying about Unicom Systems, IBM, Sparx Systems and others in Architecture Management. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.