Unitrends Review

Easy to install and set up, nice web-based GUI, and the reporting is helpful

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the Unitrends Backup solution is to protect our physical and virtual servers at our small rural K-12 school. By installing the agent on each necessary server, we can back up both our physical servers (HP or Dell, etc) and also our Windows Server 2012R2, 2016, or 2019 versions.

We use the website graphical user interface to continually configure, monitor, and verify our various backups as well as get daily email reports that show our current status of backup success and failures.

How has it helped my organization?

Other than getting daily email reports to review the status of success or failure backups of individual physical or virtual servers in our environment, we do not have to worry about the backups.

What is most valuable?

I like that the installer file was easy to download from their website and easy to install for Hyper-V appliances.

I really like the reporting options you get for various email reports. I look forward to looking at those each day, which gives me a great overview of the current status of the whole Unitends Backup system.

The website's graphical user interface is well-thought-out and has been tweaked to be more friendly and nicer looking in the last year or so.

The updates are fairly frequent, so I'm happy they continue to improve everything.

What needs improvement?

For smaller K12 schools, I wish they offered a beefier free version with more storage and options. This would enable poorer schools to stay safe and secure from all the threats out in the world, especially ransomware and the horrible consequences of that problem.

I would like to see more storage options for the free version.

We have been using Unitrends for five years in a rural K-12 school.

We did not use another backup solution prior to Unitrends.

Our Unitrends Backup solution was easy and straightforward to install.

We were able to do it without third party assistance. We only had to do the installation once too, which is a benefit. Then we planned out and set up our configuration once, and pretty much forgot about it. We check it probably once a year if we make server changes.

With respect to cost, my advice is to get what you need.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I do like that they keep improving the website user interface. It is much more user-friendly than the one years ago and makes it easier for an administrator to make configuration changes.

More Unitrends reviews from users
...who work at a Non Tech Company
Learn what your peers think about Unitrends. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.