Unitrends Review
We can remote manage, monitor and report multiple client sites, but there's no support for dual VPN utilization.

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Unitrends to backup of local on premises environment as well as our Azure VMs.

We use our local network as an off-site storage for our Azure VMs and replicate our local backups to Azure.

We also have several appliances installed at our customers.  Using the notifications we can easily monitor backups and address any failures quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has given us the ability to remote manage, monitor and report multiple client sites .

We have relied on this appliance several times to recover our clients from Crytpo viruses that have locked their files for ransom.

What is most valuable?

- Cloud replication
- Remote management of clients
- Reporting
- Iinstant recovery (allows a spin-up of your image as a VM on the appliance).

What needs improvement?

Pushing the client to Windows 8 and Server 2012, no appliance update notifications, more stable pricing model, no support for dual VPN utilization (required for cloud replication and remote monitoring which cannot be done simultaneously).

Three to five years.

Unitrends is very stable.

The product is very scalable however if you are a small company that uses multiple subnets you must purchase a higher end appliance with multiple NICs. The lower end appliance no longer come with 2.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is very qualified and educated.

We previously used 3X and they went out of business.

Initial setup is very easy and straight foreword. You will need to program the Unitrends appliance with network configurations. Next will be installing the client on each workstation. This can be pushed on Windows 7 and earlier. Server 2012 and Windows 8 will require you to visit each workstation.

Configuring some of the advanced features however can be very tedious and difficult. A call to Unitrends support more than likely will be necessary.

We implemented the product for ourselves and a several clients.

How much is your data worth to you?

Pricing model constantly changes.

Before choosing Unitrends we also looked at Veeam, Symantec, Acronis, Backup Assist, etc.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product. Easy to setup, technical support is great, lots of documentation available. The reports are great to keep your backups working and recovery testing is easy.

We have needed to restore a handful of times already and having Unitrends has been 100% thus far making us look good.

There recently has been a lot of restructuring that has been happening at Unitrends and our common contacts and reps keep changing. They have also switched their sales model and no longer sell direct.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We originally we just a customer and began selling this product to our customers and eventually becoming a partner.

2 Comments

Butch PatchellUser

I didn't find it easy to set up. If it is so easy to set up and configure, why is the user's manual eleven hundred pages? We've been working with it for a few months and still can't figure out how to image a client computer. Is that a 'Bare Metal' backup?

10 March 16
Aaron KrytusReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Butch Patchell,

The manual cover much more than the initial setup and configure, which by the way is a very well written manual. I have used it a few times myself.

1. The initial setup of the appliance is through CentOS for hostname and IP configuration.
2. The rest is done through a wizard found on the web portal of the appliance.
3. Finally set up the clients and their schedules.
4. Additional configuration of advanced features can be difficult, especially VPN. Maybe I will update my review with that information.

BMR (Bare Metal Recovery) is an image. Now they have created Master backups which include the BMR and file backup together. Depending on your situation there is no need for separate backups and schedules.

Feel free to reach out to me if I can provide you any additional information to help. Unitrends however has a good support team and should be able to assist you with any complication you may have.

10 March 16