Unitrends Review

It has drastically cut down on our restore time

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Unitrends to assist when a file or server level restore/backup is needed. We perform nightly backups of all servers, as well as a monthly backup to disk, which is stored offsite.

How has it helped my organization?

Unitrends has helped us cut down the time that it takes to restore a server to its original configuration. Before, we only had the file structure backing up on a nightly basis and were utilizing bare metals.

Unitrends has drastically cut down on our restore time.

What is most valuable?

The scheduling and event viewer is easy to use and a helpful item when setting up new servers to be backed up. It determines what errors are being generated as a result of an issue.

What needs improvement?

The amount of updates which are being released. We were running 9.2 for the longest time when 10 came out. We were advised to upgrade, then two weeks later, we were told to wait. Since version 10 came out, there have been multiple versions released for Unitrends. Updates should be limited to two or three a year, focusing more on quality instead of a rushed bug release.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

One of the best features is the customer service. When submitting online, the techs are quick to return my call and are very patient and helpful in answering all my questions.

I recently had an issue backing up a specific server (and without sending an email), the tech emailed me at 4 AM and provided a solution to the error which was generated.

Since I have been with the company, we have always used Unitrends.

I do not know.

You should be aware how much the monthly costs are to use, what the initial costs for hardware are, and what the options to expand are, if needed.

We did not evaluate anyone else.