Unitrends Review

The licensing is all included in the appliance, but it could be a little more customizable

What is our primary use case?

Backup replacement for Backup Exec.  Also, we are replicating backups from one datacenter to another.

How has it helped my organization?

VM backup is much faster and more reliable, as I can test my backups with Data Copy Access jobs.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to set up and get started. Almost too easy. We racked this device and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes. The racking of the appliance took the longest, as it is heavy.

What needs improvement?

We have a huge VMware infrastructure with multiple hosts that use local storage. Backup jobs of VMs seem to target one host at a time, so if there are 10 VMs on that host getting backed up, it hammers that ESXi host until sometimes the jobs hang and nothing more occurs. It would be great to have the job throttle/limit the max number of backups on a single ESXi host.

Still implementing.

Everything has been stable since implementation.

Not yet.

So far, they have gone out of their way to assist us if there are questions or issues.

Yes, we utilized Backup Exec and a Dell DR4000 disk appliance. We were going to replace the DR4000 with a DR6300, but found that the cost of Unitrends was about the same as the DR6300. We liked the fact that the Unitrends appliance was all-in-one.

Very simple. You just put in a name and an IP address, then browse to the website to get to the console, deploy agents, and start backing it up.

In-house implementation.

Not calculated.

The cost of Unitrends definitely draws you in. The licensing is all included in the appliance, which is a great incentive.

Yes, we looked at Backup Exec and the DR6300, as well as the Dell EMC iDPA 5800. The price of the iDPA was steep and they would not let us demo a unit.

What other advice do I have?

So far, so good. It could be a little more customizable, but hopefully reviews like this and feature request updates that I have submitted move that along.