Universal CMDB Review

What is our primary use case?

UCMDB is one of best discovery softwares available in the market.

• It can discover almost everything and creates relationship among discovered CIs, along with creating topology modeling.
  • You can set up a UCMDB server with multiple probes and it can be distributed across all regions to collect information locally, then be shipped to a central node.
  • It scales easily with future expansion.
  • It can discover various pieces from hardware, software, custom applications, and tie them together to create a map using ASM (Automated Service Modelling).
  • It works with agentless and agent solutions.
  • It can be integrated easily with other Micro Focus tools, like NNMi, OMi, and OBR and third-party products like ServiceNow

How has it helped my organization?

UCMDB data is helpful with correlating events, which helps to reduce the number of events to the end user. It also help with business-level mapping to provide high level visibility related to the health of business applications.

In a large heterogeneous environment, you can have multiple distributed probe servers which can collect data into each region and send it over the central nodes to avoid firewall and DMZ issues. This make the discovery process more dynamic and real-time.

The latest version of UCMDB 10.33 has an autodiscovering capability.

What is most valuable?

The Automated Service Modeling (ASM) is the new feature in 10.33, which allows out-of-the-box automatic modeling that can be used for business service level mapping.

What needs improvement?

Improve the GUI and documentation.

Not applicable.