Untangle NG Firewall Review
It is the easiest and most cost-effective product to use

What is our primary use case?

It performs very well, because you can deploy it on any hardware. You don't need to use an appliance from the company. We can use any server the company currently has, saving them money, or we can get an appliance from Untangle and deploy it.

How has it helped my organization?

None of my clients has had a ransom or breach using Untangle, whereas my Cyberoam and Sophos clients have been breached.

What is most valuable?

It is the easiest product to use. Features include:

• Phishing
  • Spam filtering
  • Web filtering
  • Application filtering
  • Web cache
  • SSL filtering.

What needs improvement?

It would be much easier if there was a mobile app.

It is very stable. The last three versions have been stable.

It is very scalable. With my Untangle box, I can easily stick in 4G of RAM and I add 500 users.

The technical support is very good. With all the licenses, they give you free 24-hour support. If the system gives an issue, you just click on the support button, type in your error, and click submit. Then, in the cloud, they log on and fix the error for you immediately.

My clients wanted to switch because they had been breached and/or their VPN did not work like it should.

It is the most cost-effective to use.

On our shortlist was Untangle, Fortinet, and Kerio Control.

• WatchGuard is useless.
  • Cyberoam can't get their VPN to work, so it crashes all the time.
  • Salesforce is amazing, but it costs you an arm and a leg. Then, you have to get a technician and spend a fortune to train someone just to read the reports.
  • Check Point is great, but only if you're a bank.

What other advice do I have?

Don't listen to media people who promote products because they get kickbacks or are paid by companies to promote products.

Most important criteria for selecting a vendor: price to performance.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: POPI Certified Partner.