Untangle NG Firewall Review

An easy to use product with a simple interface and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

We use the web sensor, the virus blocker, the spam blocker, bandwidth control, application control, and firewall options. We're quite happy with all of it.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is not as good as it was some time ago. They've since skipped offering a lot of individual features.

In the future, Untangle should offer a web server feature. That's the only application Sophos gave us which Untangle doesn't have.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

There have been no issues with stability. I've been quite surprised.

We don't have many users, so I'm unsure about the product's scalability potential.

We've never had to reach out to technical support, as we have yet to face any issues using the solution.

We've used multiple solutions. We were previously using Sophos, but we switched because of its high price tag.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about 45 minutes. You only need about one person for maintenance.

I handled the implementation myself.

We pay $350 USD per year for the solution. There are no additional costs. As long as you're not using a physical appliance, that's all you need.

Before choosing this solution we tried both Sophos and WatchGuard.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use the product. In comparison, Sophos has a bigger learning curve.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.