UrbanCode Deploy Review

Valuable Features

It has out-of-the-box integration with source-code repositories, various ticketing systems, plus a wide variety of plugins to use during deployment. Custom plugin development was easy and the tools capability of keeping the version tracking of workflows were pretty good.

Improvements to My Organization

It provided a reduction in deployment time and lowered the application downtime.

Room for Improvement

More out of the box plugins are required though good number are avaialble at the moment.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one-and-a-half years. The sole purpose of the tool was to pick the application binaries from various sources and deploy them on target systems.

There were some issues related to high memory consumption, but those were primarily due to the deployment workflows being developed incorrectly.

There were no issues with the stability.

The tool is capable of handling the load. The single application server was handling 50-70 applications which were quite complex in nature.

7/10

7/10

We used BMC BladeLogic previously. BladeLogic is more for automating tasks performed on servers like compliance, patching, and provisioning. It is not suited for devops/application deployment and hence the migration from BMC to IBM.

It was fairly simple as the product is easy to install.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house with failover.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

For us, it was more about automating the complex application deployments which were manual for years. IBM products are expensive unless you can strike a deal. However, the tool did help us in automating the use cases and integrate with existing platforms via plugins.

Other Solutions Considered

We explored Ansible, Puppet and Chef. I worked on Chef for a few days and I am not a very big fan of it, probably due to my lack of interest.

Other Advice

For DevOps, this tool is one of the best with all its integration capabilities for repositories and various systems. Perform the initial setup carefully, and probably with someone who has knowledge on the tool plus enough experience of designing infrastructure solutions. For me, the pain starts due to mostly incorrectly designed/implemented tools.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Eric MinickVendor

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you found custom plugin development easy! We'd love to have you join our open plugin development community. https://developer.ibm.com/urbancode/plugins/development-community/

05 October 16