UrbanCode Deploy Review

It helps us create a detailed, accurate implementation plan. Pricing is on the higher side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is auto-deployment of application versions through direct connectivity with UrbanCode Deploy.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, for a planned release, an Excel-based implementation plan had to be created and validated beforehand in a production-like environment. On the go-live date, a high number of resources were required to run that implementation plan and perform a high number of deployments and validations. This eventually takes almost a day for a release leading to business impact and high release cost. The Excel implementation plan size climbs to 2000+ lines depending on the size of the release, which is prone to errors.

UrbanCode Release is used to run deployment from non-production environments and hence the plan continues to mature until we reach the go-live day. It is run through the non-production releases a number of times and hence is validated beforehand. With the usage of UrbanCode Release, we are able to save on efforts required to create a detailed, accurate implementation plan. Also, as it has direct connectivity with UrbanCode Deploy, we can schedule automatic deployments and hence save on time and cost of resources. The overall release efficiency has improved multifold.

What needs improvement?

Performance of the tool is quite slow. It takes a lot of time to load a plan if the plan size is bigger. Also, the reporting feature needs to be strengthened to provide more valuable real-time reports.

I’ve used UrbanCode for 1.5 years.

Sometimes the tool gets hung while running a plan. Also, sometimes the deployment status is not accurate with regard to UrbanCode Deploy.

The tool's performance goes down when the number of simultaneous users increases.

Technical support for us is good as we are one of the initial big customers for this tool. The tool has developed in consultancy with us.

We were completely manual before this.

Initial setup was complex, as providing user privileges, environment-application mapping, and environment release allocation are some of the pre-install tasks to be completed for creating a plan. Creating a long plan is also complex.

Pricing is on the higher side. Individual licenses for each user is not an expected model for a tool like UrbanCode Release. It should have group licensing.

We evaluated Nolio by CA for release management.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a must have. UrbanCode Deploy provides great advantages.