UrbanCode Deploy Review

It offers OOTB plugins for middleware.

What is most valuable?

It provides a wide list of OOTB plugins for middleware.

How has it helped my organization?

By standardizing the automated deployment application process, reducing the amount of errors due to manual steps and by providing visibility into the release cycles of various teams/applications, we've improved our global efficiency by at least 25% and still counting, since we've only used the product for a short period of time.

What needs improvement?

• A simplified UI
  • A simplied licensing model
  • Lack of technical expertise available in the market that forces us to rely solely on IBM Professional Services

I have used UrbanCode Deploy for six months.

We have not had any stability issues so far.

We have not had any scalability issues so far.

They have very good response time to our technical support tickets. The solution/answer that allows us to close the ticket typically comes from level 2 or level 3 support (i.e., not level 1).

We didn’t have a previous solution. We just had a very wide variety of custom in-house scripts.

Initial setup was straightforward.

The licensing model can be very simple, or quite complex, depending on how you want it to be and how you negotiate with IBM. I suggest to deeply evaluate your growth/scaling capacity, since this will dictate your choice of licensing model. If you know that your needs in terms of applications to automate is fairly stable and very predictable, then you might consider a simple approach of the server and agent licensing model. If you're in a rapidly evolving environment and it's hard to predict, but you know that it will grow rapidly, then you might consider a PVU licensing model based on the CPU capacity of the server, regardless on the number of agents deployed into your datacenter(s). And somewhere in between, the hybrid approach is the floating model that is a good fit for the shrink-and-expand type scenario (our choice).

It all depends on your requirements and the guesstimate of growth and potential shrink capacity.

We continued with custom in-house scripting; a dead end, obsolete approach that cannot scale and belongs to the past, not the future. Open source-based products (Jenkins and others) that we complement with in-house custom functions, require too much human investment in development effort to provide minimum features that make solutions properly operational in large-scale enterprises with complex IT landscapes; a buy vs. build decision.

Its competitors are: Xebia Labs, CA Release Automation.

What other advice do I have?

Properly evaluate the ratio of applications that are based on newer architecture models (cloud native vs hybrid vs traditional). Weigh in that element into the decision and consider a hybrid approach: big vendors' ARA tools vs. new cloud-based deployment technology like Kubernetes.