UserLock Review

Affordable, easy to use, and integrates well with Active Directory

What is our primary use case?

We needed to strengthen our access security after being hit by a ransomware attack. Implementing two-factor authentication for all users was at the top of the priority list. We were looking for an affordable and easy-to-use 2FA solution.

For the Police Department, regulations and mandates already required the use of two factors to protect information. To comply, the Department had implemented Duo 2FA, but the solution wasn’t very easy to set up or user friendly. Therefore a new solution was sought that could be easily deployed across all user and administrative accounts, from all departments.

How has it helped my organization?

It is affordable, integrates easily with Active Directory, and is simple to install and maintain. It’s basically an IT Manager’s dream. Deployment and implementation were flawless. I received zero complaints from end-users.

UserLock has allowed us to have one single 2FA solution for all of our users. Its ease of use has saved the IT Department a lot of time onboarding and managing 2FA.

Real-time visibility allows us to see who’s connected, when and from where, and to react immediately in case of unusual events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are two-factor authentication and real-time logon monitoring.

Two-factor authentication: UserLock can be configured to support various types of authenticators such as hardware security keys, mobile-based authentication, and programmable tokens. Because the police department patrol group is always on the move, we needed fast and convenient strong authentication. We chose the YubiKey from Yubico. Other users can choose between their smartphone and a programmable token called Token2.

Real-time logon monitoring: visibility to see who’s connected, when and from where, all us to react immediately in case of unusual events.

What needs improvement?

The product and service are already great as it is but if I could add one feature, I guess it would be nice to have another factor of authentication (two additional factors) like your phone and a token for example, for when people forget their phone at home.

It’s not that I mind not having two factors, but I do get that question from time to time from some of our users who think it would be really useful. From what I’ve heard, they’re working on it and it should be coming in the next version so that’s great news.

We have been using UserLock for a few months.

We used Duo, which costs more and was more complex to implement. UserlLock integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Active Directory and has a simple user interface.

You will be hard-pressed to find better pricing.

We evaluated Duo and a few other options.