Varonis Datalert Review

Top-notch alerting and reporting

What is our primary use case?

This solution informs us about who's moving data, whether accidentally or on purpose. If a mass folder deletion occurs or mass copying, master lateral movements, things like that, then this solution sends us an alert. We set up the alerts and this solution informs us of who's moving the data. Sometimes people drag and drop by mistake; this can move thousands of files and folders — depending on their size. If this happens, the system alerts us so we can correct it before it affects our users. We also use it for monetary purposes.

We use this solution to monitor all of our 16,000 users. Regarding the admin solution, we have around 10 users.

What is most valuable?

That alerting and reporting service is great.

What needs improvement?

The troubleshooting capabilities could be improved. It has so many interconnected components. It connects with Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange, and NetApp. Trying to troubleshoot all of these components can get very complicated — especially with NetApp.

The GUI should be more functional. There should be a process for connecting through Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We expanded this solution in the past — it was a complex process. It cannot be done by an average user. To perform a full upgrade, you'll definitely require assistance from Varonis support.

The technical support is very good — very responsive.

The initial setup was a bit complex. The average user wouldn't be able to do it.

Deployment took between a week or two. The filtering, the fine-tuning; all of that takes a while. Plus, there is ongoing fine-tuning that has to take place after the initial setup.

Licensing is on an annual basis. Maintenance and renewal fees are separate. Varonis Datalert is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others interested in using this solution is to be very careful during the initial installation. Either purchase professional services assistance from a third party or get help from Varonis support. It's not a job that an average user can do. The slightest mistake can wind up costing you a lot of data.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

More Varonis Datalert reviews from users
...who compared it with ManageEngine Log360
Find out what your peers are saying about Varonis, Microsoft, Splunk and others in User Behavior Analytics - UEBA. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.