Vblock Review

The component integration means I don't have to worry about technology mismatches

What is our primary use case?

Converged data centers in hosted facilities in many locations.  The ability to roll in a solution and have it function right out of the box is key.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a little bit easier to maintain and easier when an upgrade needs to take place, since the vendor is handling the integration aspects usually for a fee.

What is most valuable?

The integration between components, so that we don't have to worry about technology mismatches.   Not having to worry about the firmware integrations with the software infrastructure components has been grand.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other vendors' products needs to be looked at. It's not as flexible as we would like it to be.

Three to five years.

We haven't had any stability issues, but we have had compatibility issues with third-party packages.

There are no issues from a scalability standpoint, except sometimes it gets to be on the costly side.

We switched because we thought it was going to be less troublesome, in the end, for us.

The upgrades seem to take longer than we would like. Then again, it really all depends on the complexity of the environment. We're in a pretty complex environment, so some of the upgrades were not straightforward, even though we were told they were going to be straightforward.

I think the pricing is on the higher end of the spectrum. There could be some adjustments that could be made there.

Regarding licensing, watch compatibility with external products that you run on Vblock. It has got to be properly architected, otherwise, you will run into licensing issues.

What other advice do I have?

If your environment is a very stable environment, this solution is a great fit. If your environment isn't a very stable environment, I would make sure that you install it in such a way that it allows you to be flexible.

I would mark it as an eight out of 10. There haven't been very many issues with it, it seems to be well maintained and, the only thing that comes to mind is, again, some of the cost factors that are associated with it. It could be a little bit more cost-effective, otherwise, it would be a 10.

More Vblock reviews from users