vCenter Configuration Manager Review

Work is simplified with patch management and template features; configurations could be reduced

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager at one or two companies where we provide services. I live in Fiji and people don't really go into the detail of compliance and automated configuration. Most things are generally done manually so with the implementation of Configuration Manager it becomes automated. There are some reporting and management tasks involved. We're partners with vCenter and I'm the IT general manager.

What is most valuable?

As an engineer, I'd say the most valuable features would be the patch management and templates. Both of these features make my job easier.

What needs improvement?

This is a good solution but it has too many configurations for what it does. In that sense, it's not particularly user friendly and requires too many clicks. From reviews I've read, I believe Acropolis might be easier to use in this regard.

I think the solution pretty much covers everything, I can't think of any additional features that might be useful.

I've been using this solution for the past two years.

The technical support is generally quite good although it depends who you're talking to. Most of the time issues are solved expediently although sometimes it takes a little longer than you'd probably want, but eventually it gets fixed. It's good but it could be better.

The initial setup can be a little complex. It's clear what needs to be done but because of compliance it becomes more complicated. It requires configuring thresholds and standard marks plus automated configurations. It's a matter of implementing some provisioning which can be tedious. I haven't worked with it too much, but it seems quite cumbersome.

Deployment time probably took a little longer in our case because it was implementing  compliance, patch management and software package distribution, so it probably took a couple of days. We used our own team for configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people use this solution. It can make your life a lot easier and it has a lot of features which could help a system administrator prevent problems and foresee potential issues.

I would rate this solution quite highly but it loses a couple of points because of the complexity so I'll give it a seven out of 10.

More vCenter Configuration Manager reviews from users