vCenter Configuration Manager Review

Many features come into play to make this a strong management tool

What is our primary use case?

The primary purpose of the product is to maintain system performance and optimize it.

What is most valuable?

I find all of the features of the solution valuable. All of them are valuable although I use some more frequently. I like Snapchat, RDS (Remote Desktop Services), cloning, migration, DDS (Data Distribution Service), and server switch probably as the features I use the most. All of these features serve different purposes and are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not feel like I am an expert with the product who can suggest technical enhancements. The setup and implementation could probably be better. It does not seem like we should have to do so much manual configuration. Instad of supplying everything manually at the prompts, it should offer some options for automation of the setup. I guess something like that is already available, but if it is I do not know it. If automating the updates were possible to do it would be very nice.

I have been using the product for about 10 years, but I have been working on managing it for the past two to three years.

I have not had to deal directly with the technical support because I am an architect so I am doing high-level design. The technical stuff or the day-to-day operations are done by another team. They are responsible for opening tickets and calls with level one and level two support.

The efficiency of the initial setup is good. Some automation is already available but it could be better. If you have the OVA (Open Virtual Appliance) or if you can somehow install it using the silent mode it would improve the functionality. For example, you create your definition and from that, you can get the parameters automatically without manually entering every field. So you use a pre-defined setup and instead of working manually you just do one click and the changes are pushed out.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager as maybe an eight to nine-out-of-ten. To make it even better and to score a ten-of-ten, the ease-of-use and the flexibility of configuration could be improved. If it was easier to use and easier to implement and to set up, it will be closer to a ten.

More vCenter Configuration Manager reviews from users