vCenter Configuration Manager Review

Enables our customers to see which VMs need more resources or are over-committed

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it to get real, in-depth information about how the environment is being used; to see if they have to scale up, scale down, scale out.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have better knowledge of how they have to provision hardware and when they will need to provision hardware. It makes for more predictable environments. It prevents future problems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to see which virtual machines need more resources or are over-committed.

What needs improvement?

It can take a long time for the first information to become available. On the other hand, that's normal. It has to collect a lot of information before it can predict future needs. But it would be nice if there was some kind of base level to get started.

Stability is great, in my experience.

The scalability is also great. It can scale out as far as you want to go.

My clients already have VMware. In terms of investing in a new solution, most of the time my clients already have problems that they're not aware of, or they feel like they don't have control. That's when I get hired, to see if I have the knowledge, along with the knowledge of the VMware products, that can help them in the future. They don't have the internal knowledge for deploying and configuring all their VMware.

The initial setup is pretty much straightforward. You just implement an OVA, answer some questions for IP settings and how large the environment is that you want to monitor, and then the install configures itself. You have to configure some plug-ins, but there's no rush on that.

ROI depends on the size of the environment. If you have more than 1,000 virtual machines, you should definitely install this type of software. The time to ROI depends on whether you configured a new cluster. In that case, you probably have enough resources, but we want to know how far you can go in your cluster, how many virtual machines you have left, given the space.

It's a large application. It consumes a lot of resources. Sometimes the price is too high for our customers. If they buy it directly from VMware, its hard to convince the customer that we will bring down the total cost of ownership, in the end.

If they have an SLA, most of the time the solution is included in the license, and it's easier to get it deployed to the customer.

Some of our clients evaluate Nutanix. They go with VMware because it's an enterprise company, and most of my customers are enterprise. They want the full support of an enterprise company. It's supported through all the specs, not only the hardware but all the applications.

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely go for this solution. Without this type of tooling, you're not aware of how your environment is functioning. You don't know if you are over-committed, or if you need to downsize. You get more inside information, and that's always useful.