vCenter Configuration Manager Review

Good disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities but generally doesn't compare to competitors in the field

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have when compared with other solutions are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities. All the software that VMware produces has very good business connectivity and disaster recovery features.

What needs improvement?

Configuration Manager should decrease the deployment time in the data center and the management time as this could help many data centers reduce their operating costs.

I think most of VMware's software is easy and simple to use but they lack the capability to manage other systems. When working with some other software out there you have a total solution for managing and configuring your data centers. Many other virtualization systems have this feature, and it would be a good idea for VMware to switch to this approach because I think most data centers are looking for total solutions to manage their data centers. Our trends show that this kind of simple management software is going to be a part of orchestration systems.

Overall, I think it's good enough to use for most customers who have VMware solutions in their data centers.

I have been working on virtualization for around seven or eight years.

This software helps customers to reduce management operations, including saving their resources and total cost. The basic platform is very good for reducing operational costs. Plus, the automation and easy deployment are very important to many data centers.

In terms of scalability, yes, most of the software that VMware produces is enterprise and scalable and they define the business connectivity and disaster recovery very well in most of their software.

In some cases, I have contacted support when I use the software, but mostly I am helped with the data centers by our in-house engineers. The quality is not black and white. It depends on the engineer that you get, but most of these companies have good software consultants.

The initial setup is perfectly easy to deploy, as well as in other VMware software. It takes less than five hours to deploy.

Most VMware software is easy to use, although you don't need support for deployment, it may be helpful for maintenance.

If you compare the performance between virtualization solutions, I think KVM is better than VMware. But in terms of disaster recovery and business connectivity, VMware has a better-developed software here.

Our company is a data center solution architect and consultant. We look for the best solutions for our customers and we try to find the best one for each project. It doesn't matter if that solution is from a small company or a famous company - we look for the best solution for configuring the situation.

What other advice do I have?

I think before using this kind of software, most companies should train their administrators to ensure that the deployment is perfect. Also, maintenance would be easier if you train your engineers before using this kind of software.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a six. This is because compared to the other solutions such as Microsoft's StoreSafe or Studio Team System solutions or Ubuntu it is not as good.

This software is specific for VMware products whereas the other software is more flexible.