vCenter Orchestrator Review

Simple, ergonomic, and easy to use in a complex environment

What is our primary use case?

We are a software IT provider. I work with vCenter. We use it for our clients. It's for customers and our customers who use VMware products. We are the implementation engineers. Most of our clients work with the traditional data counter.

Our primary use case of this solution is for virtualization management, so virtualizing the infrastructure, and optimizing IT workload.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's simple and very ergonomic to use the product compared to other virtualizing product. Out of Microsoft, Red Hat, and IBM, we found VMware to be the best one.

It's a single pane of glass. We can manage all the sectors on vCenter.

What needs improvement?

It is too expensive. One of the main issues is the price.

I don't know if vCenter Orchestrator can automize the provisioning of other products and other virtualizing software besides for VMware. If it will develop the ability to be a multi-provider product it will be better for VMware.

I would it to become multi-platforming, like what vRealize does.

We have been using this solution for almost eight years.

It is stable. I didn't find any technical problems with any VMware products, including vCenter. They are stable products and the only problem is that they cost a lot of money.

In Tunisia, we don't have very big data country like in the UK, Europe, and other countries. The biggest data center in my country has maybe around 500 virtual machines. We don't have the problem of scalability in Tunisia. We're a small country with a small data center. For big companies in Tunisia, it's compared to a middle-sized company in Europe.

We don't have this problem and I know vCenter it's very scalable with how much you can manage and how many customers you can manage. We don't have this problem with scalability.

We don't have a problem with VMware support. I would rate their support a nine out of ten.

We compared vCenter to Microsoft SCCM and other tools and I think vCenter is the most dynamic and the easier one to use in any complex environment.

The initial setup is not complicated. The setup took around half a day. If we have all the requirement that we request it takes less than half a day.

We do both. We implement and we do the support and maintenance tasks. We only require one staff member for the deployment.

The setup depends on how the company has organized it. We have people who are responsible for the implementation and people who are responsible for the maintenance and support desk. But if you have a problem then just one person can fix that problem.

Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We pay for the license and then we pay the support every year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the price.