vCloud Director Review

Its flexibility allows me to adapt it to students' needs, although a better GUI for both students and administrators would be an improvement.

Valuable Features

Flexibility – it allows me to adapt the product to all student needs.

Improvements to My Organization

Students using the environment vs. not using the environment. Students can find products that they want to use and if they’re using it, they’re happy with it.

Room for Improvement

Better GUI as they don’t hold with the programs that well. Better user interfaces in general. Both the administrative and user interfaces need to be better.

It’s fairly stable, no bugs no crashes.

It scales fine, it went from 1,000 to 2,000 machines without any issues at all.

Technical support’s wonderful. Whenever we find an issue, we submit a ticket and they resolve it within an hour usually. Sometimes the complexity of the environment is high, and that’s fine, but usually it’s very quick.

We were using Lab Manager, and when VMware discontinued it, we needed to switch.

Complicated – there was no upgrade path from Lab Manager to vCloud Director, so we basically had to design a new solution.

Other Solutions Considered

No, because of the time VMware has been in the market. I don’t like using people that are new, and VMware has been around for a long time. Also, we just thought it would be simpler to stay with the same vendor.

Other Advice

I really don’t know of any products right now other than this. They’re pretty high – if someone has a peer review that’s low, I won’t consider the product.