vCloud Director Review

Enables us to provision new customers significantly faster and the stability has been rock solid

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to onboard multiple customers into a multi-tenant platform.

How has it helped my organization?

My company's a traditional hardware reseller so moving into a subscription-based model is challenging from a sales perspective. It's a new way of getting customers in and getting them tightly coupled with my company.

The self-service capabilities have affected the way that our customers can now do their own thing. Whereas in our old legacy platform, we had to sit down and do stuff for our customers. We don't require as many people to maintain the platform.

It has also enabled us to provision new clients faster. We can provision a new customer in a few hours and they will be up and running.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenancy feature is very important for us from a service perspective. The recent new capabilities are a huge step forward for this product.

The data protection, disaster recovery, and container features are limited but evolving as well. We use some third party products for data protection and disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a full transition to NSX-T, more work on the container, and double integration.

The stability is rock solid.

We're still a small, newly started service provider so we haven't had a lot of scale yet.

Their technical support is very good compared to other vendors.

The main reason that we switched solutions was that we were running a legacy based infrastructure as a service. Customers had to submit a ticket and then we did something in the background for the customer. They requested self-service capabilities, so that was the main reason we knew it was time to switch.

The initial setup was complex. There's a lot of things you have to factor in, like security, backup, disaster recovery, monitoring, and how to maintain the platform. It's something we still struggle with, but it's getting better.

I implemented it myself. I designed and deployed the solution myself because I have a long background with VMware. We haven't used any external companies for implementation.

I would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution to get people who understand the technology and what you can do with it to get the program right the first time. You can make a lot of mistakes during the deployment. Get someone in there to help you if you don't understand the product 100 percent.

I rated this solution an eight. I believe that everything has room for improvement and wouldn't give any solution a ten.

We only looked at VMware. We looked at alternatives like OnApp but we saw that VMware was moving forward with a lot of innovation on the vCloud Director and stuck to that.