vCloud Director Review

VMs can be managed on their own but searching in the cloud is problematic

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to manage VMs on their own.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by speeding up some basic scenarios. They can manage a simple operation on their own.

What is most valuable?

We like the basic operations that we can do with the VM such as restarting, rebooting, creating snapshots, and deleting snapshots.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to search in vCloud Director more easily. If I just need to look for something quickly, it's quite difficult to find it with the way it's set up now. They should make the search button better.

The option to build up vCloud Director on the flash is quite annoying because you need to have integrated the flash, which can be problematic with the processor. Finding the integration plugin which works with the processor and which works with the flash is hard. I think this is an important feature to redesign. Eliminating the integration plugin would make it much better.

Generally, it's quite stable. We don't have issues where the Director doesn't work. However, sometimes the vCloud Director cannot finish some operations for some reason. We'll need to try the operation twice or three times, redeploy, and do other steps. It could use some improvement. It would be better if it was a click and go.

Scalability is fine. If we need it, it works nice, but it's not our main focus.

Their technical support is good. Their guys are well trained and answer quickly.

Most of our clients are using classic solutions from the vSphere, 6, 5.5, or even older. We give them vCloud Director as an option for their business.

This solution is cheaper than other alternatives.

We looked into other cloud solutions like Microsoft Cloud and ABS. Our clients chose NSX because they have us as a middleman for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a seven because the search button really bothers me. Also, because it isn't always able to finish an operation.