vCloud Director Review

Evolved version and the self-service features are especially valuable

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and our primary use case for vCloud Director is to build our own product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us develop a better way of selling services to customers, evolve from the typical housing, and make revenues for the Telefonica company.

What is most valuable?

We like that it's multi-tenant, is supported, that it evolves with time and allows us to offer services to our enterprise customers in the B2B segment

The self-service features have been very valuable to our organization. We are a service provider so we push access to our customers so that they can self-serve. With every version, it evolves more. It gets better with time.

It allows us to provision new clients faster because we also automate with CLI which is a valuable feature for us.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Business recovery and integration with SD-WAN.

More than five years.

Stability is very good, rock solid.

We have some limitations with scalability because we are service providers. In the past with things like the number of VLANs, external networks, and the number of volumes per customer, we had to be very, very careful to be able to scale properly and with business sense.

Their technical support is very good.

We've been in the hosting business for fifteen years, so it was a natural evolution for us when it came time to switch. In a way, we are growing together with VMware.

The initial setup was straightforward the first time. It was complex the second time. It became a brownfield because we had several products integrated and we had to connect them every time. The roadmap wasn't easy, but we did it.

We went directly with VMware Professional Services for the integration. We wanted a guaranteed seal and quality from the vendor.

In terms of costs, I would say there is no comparison between this solution and alternatives. If you are in the market for VMware services, that's just what it is. You don't have any other product like this on the market.

We didn't look at other alternatives because we know that no other vendors have what VMware has.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking into this or a similar solution I would tell you to start fresh and start with VMware Professional Services and their architects from the beginning.

I would definitely rate this solution a ten. It has been working flawlessly for the last ten years and we have been very happy with it.