Veeam Agent for Linux Review

An excellent solution that's quick to install, easy to manage, and able to restore even single files

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to backup data.

How has it helped my organization?

If you compare the Veeam Backup Solution with EMC NetWorker, EMC NetWorker is very complex to manage and deploy. With Veeam you can deploy it in one hour or as little as thirty minutes. For EMC NetWorker, you need days or even weeks. In 2012 I led a project for an EMC Networker deployment. It took around two months at my previous company. In comparison, in January we deployed Veeam and it took around one hour, and it was quick and easy. The solution saved time and money.

Also, management is very simple. It's most compatible with VMware. It can restore single files instead of having to restore the whole machine, once again leading to savings for the company.

What is most valuable?

Generally, Veeam is very robust. It's completely compatible with Linux. The most valuable feature in Veeam is its compatibility with VMware. The solution provides a lot of features, including backing up of images. You can restore VM itself. You can also restore a single file. There's a feature called instant recovery. You can run VMware in the background without restoring it. It's a very valuable backup solution.

What needs improvement?

In the future, the solution should make sure it's compatible with Unix versions like HP/UX and AIX.

I've been using the solution for seven months.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. I do intend to expand usage in the future.

I've never needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It takes under an hour.

Veeam is very inexpensive. We have a bi-monthly licensing plan.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the hybrid deployment model.

The backup for Veeam is very fast, especially in comparison to EMC Network.

Scalability, if you are talking about scaling on Linux, is good. However, if you need to backup more types of solutions or Unix systems, like HP/UX, AIX, etc., it's not compatible. In this case, EMC NetWorker is more compatible with different types of Unix operating systems. That's something a new user should keep in mind if they are considering implementing Veeam.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

More Veeam Agent for Linux reviews from users