Veeam Agent for Linux Review

If someone deletes or corrupts a whole server, we can restore that serve through multiple sources

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version of this solution that's on-prem. Our primary use case of this solution is to back up our system. It's our main backup.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because if someone accidentally deletes or corrupts something, we have multiple sources to restore them. If we lose a whole server, we can restore that server. It's quick and easy. If a site blows up, I get to rebuild that site.

They update quickly.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use for the graphical interface and the ease of installation are the most valuable features of this solution.

What needs improvement?

It could use deduplication features.

I've been using this solution for around seven years.

It's incredibly stable. I've never had any issues or a corruption of the software itself.

It's absolutely scalable. From one local site to multiple hundreds of sites around the world. Mostly local IT interact with this solution. The infrastructure staff also looks after it. Anywhere between ten to thirty people use it.

We use it as our primary backup resource and we use basic copy backups. It's fully utilized across our whole system.

Their technical support could be better. I will often find a solution to a problem before they get back to me. If it's marked as an emergency it won't take as long. It really depends on who you get. If it's an experienced technician or someone who's on their fourth day and doesn't have his act together.

We used Symantec as a backup application and we used a Windows backup. From a commercial and scalability point of view, the system just needs it. The fact that we have backups there that are actually off the main system even if there is a corruption or hack it won't affect the backup.

The initial setup is very simple. It's a standard part of our process. We build a site, we install backup servers, and we install drives in remote backup locations. Then we continue clicking the "next" button until we're finished. It's easy.

The deployment is instantaneous but you have to run your own job input into the servers and decide what time you want them to run. It's easy to do an entire site. It takes a couple of hours.

I did the integration myself.

The licensing model depends on the usage, size, and features that you use. We are at an enterprise level but there are higher levels that you can get to. The standard level and essentials can give you what you need.

We looked at quite a few different options. At the end with all of the usability, scalability, and information, I used to get most of that from Symantec. It's going to integrate seamlessly into the system.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money to buy this solution, you should because it makes life a lot easier.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because sometimes the reporting is lacking. Sometimes you can get an error. Something will go wrong but you can't clearly see what.