Veeam Agent for Linux Review

An easy-to-manage solution that offers fast recovery and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery purposes. We replicate from one site to another from our environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly and has an easy to use interface. We can manage it easily. It allows for a simple backup.

The speed that you get backing up huge amounts of data from virtual machines is impressive.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to take care of more than just the virtual environment with this solution.

In terms of the physical environment, I'd like them to integrate it with other kinds of solutions. We don't just work with Microsoft or Linux, but other kinds of infrastructure data as well.

I've been using the solution for at least two years.

The stability of the solution is good. I've been satisfied with it so far.

If you are in a hybrid environment and have only one solution, which is Veeam, then you may have a problem with the integration of other kinds of preparatory solutions.

The scalability in a virtualization environment is very easy and it's quick to implement. However, when you have a lot of other solutions, then you have to redesign this solution to integrate with them. The scalability, if you talk about virtualization environments, is very nice.

At the end of the day, it's pretty scalable. In our environment, we provide a host environment for a lot of companies that belong to the government.

Technical support is very good. They're very interactive and you can tell they care. When we need them, it's very easy to communicate with them and they make sure to solve the problem.

Previously, we were using Oracle Security Backup. We switched because Oracle Security Backup does not allow you to make a backup of a virtual machine at all.

The initial setup was not so complex, but not so straight forward either. We had to design specifically for it because our infrastructure is quite complex. To be able to integrate Veeam with our infrastructure was pretty straightforward. We are also providing some services for hosting and co-location.

At the end of the day, Veeam was mostly straightforward and easy to implement.

Deployment took about 21 days. After deployment, you need about two to three people to take care of the environment.

70% of the implementation we did by ourselves. The rest we had the help of a partner service provider.

I don't have exact numbers, but you get an ROI very quickly with this solution due to your ability to get to market very fast.

We tried NetBackup, among other solutions prior to implementing this current product.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would advise others to go ahead and implement it. This is a good solution for disaster recovery. It's easy to implement and easy to operate. Veeam is a good solution for the second phase of a disaster which is basically recovering all of the environment. It's also very fast.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.