Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Review

Easy to use and works well with virtual environments, but the VSS has problems with Hyper-V

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior backup and recovery administrator and I am concentrating on these solutions.

This solution was deployed in a private cloud environment. We have switched to Commvault from this solution due to problems arising from its use with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very compatible with the virtual environment.

Application awareness is very good and the speed of this solution is good.

We can power on the virtual machine from the backup site, without having to move it to the main site.

This solution provides the best storage value.

The interface is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution has many issues with the VSS (Volume Snapshot Service) when working with the Hyper-V solution. They are related to networking and a need to restart the host.

The stability of this solution needs to be improved.

We used it with windows server 2012 R2 and we faced many problems related to the VSS service, the backup failed due to some issues with the VSS service and the solution was to restart not the service but the host totally to back again in full function. it was very bad situation especially we are talking about Hyper-V host with many production machines.

Honestly, i ca't be sure that the reason in veeam, may be in the window.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

This solution is not as stable as some others that I have used, such as Commvault and Veritas NetBackup.

This is a scalable solution.

Technical support for this solution is very good. They care about the customers and their needs.

I have worked with many backup solutions over the years, including:

The problems that we were experiencing using this solution led us to switch to Commvault. We spent some time researching the best solutions for the Nutanix environment, and we concluded that Commvault was the best choice.

I am aware that a new version of Veeam has since been released, but we needed a backup solution for Hyper-V and Nutanix

The initial setup of this solution is easy for a technical person.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using a virtual environment, are concerned with application awareness, and want a solution that is easy to use and administrate, then I recommend using this product.

In general, it depends on the environment.