Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Review

User interface provides a lot of information and has a replication feature that allows us to do the VR

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups and VR.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a replication feature that allows us to do the VR. It's very good.

The user interface is good. It provides a lot of information.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs continuous data protection; something that allows for continuity. If one site is failing, the other site can come up so everything keeps going. The data protection should be continuous rather than schedule-based.

The predictability of the solution needs improvement. Sometimes, if it's doing something at the back end, it may go slow. Today, the backup completion took four hours, but sometimes it can do the backup in 30 minutes or an hour. With solutions like NetBackup, I can predict to a much higher degree of certainty how long something will take to complete.

The user interface is good, but occasionally the change rate of the visible information is a bit slow and provides the wrong guidance. For example, the visible bandwidth might refresh only after five minutes, so sometimes you're looking at incorrect details because the refresh hasn't happened yet.

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The stability of the solution is good. I would give it a rating of eight out of ten. I've seen some products, like NetBackup, that were a bit more reliable in terms of stability.

In terms of the solution's scalability, I haven't scaled it up to a hyper scaled solution yet, so I cannot really comment, but I would rate it nine out of ten.

I don't usually use technical support, so I don't have much experience with them.

The initial setup is complex.

I handled the implementation on my own. I'm an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the unpredictable nature of how long a backup will take on the system, I can't really commit to Veeam. For an SMB, I might suggest Backup Exec as an alternative to Veeam. For an enterprise-level company, I would recommend NetBackup. I'd still recommend Veeam, but it would be based on specific customer requirements.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.