Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Quick, easy to work with, and good support for Microsoft products

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Veeam Backup and Replication in small installations and projects with Windows as well as standard Linux systems. We also use it as a backup solution for cloud products such as Office 365. In total, we have around 14 Veeam users, which covers about 100-200 devices using it.

Regarding the technical implementation, we have three primary technical personnel that maintain our use of Veeam. Because our company is multinational, with data centers located in Nordic countries such as Finland, we often have conferences outside our country and we share the services used to configure and perform the maintenance of our systems when needed. In this case, I can't point to an exact number of all the technical staff involved with Veeam throughout the greater organization.

Ideally, when it comes to backups, we prefer to use only one solution rather than two. However, we also have customers in the healthcare sector in Portugal who are using legacy UNIX and Oracle systems, and Veeam does not have agents for these operating systems. So when these customers want to create disaster recovery plans, we like to use Commvault to set up replication and create backup copies of the data code.

What is most valuable?

Veeam is quick, easy to work with, and its support for Microsoft products is good. They also provide adequate solutions for backing up Microsoft applications in the cloud, such as Office 365.

What needs improvement?

Veeam needs to have more support for non-Windows systems and other databases. For example, I can do SQL with Veeam but not Informix or Oracle. This is unfortunate because we have many partners with Oracle systems and Informix databases, and Veeam does not yet have the agents we need for specific Oracle and UNIX operating systems.

Because we are limited to using Veeam on mainly Microsoft systems, we have to resort to another backup and replication provider, Commvault, to handle these other systems. In general, I think that Veeam needs more improvement in terms of support for other applications and IT systems. It would be much more convenient for us to have all our backups for the different systems covered under one solution only, rather than having to use Veeam alongside other solutions like Commvault.

I have been using Veeam for a couple of years now.

As far as I've been using it, it has been a stable solution.

With regard to scalability, we don't have any problems in terms of basic Windows systems.

Our local support team for Veeam is composed of four technical members who assist with support across the board. In first line support, there are more support members, but in second line support there are only two to three people who can support our customers. However, the problems are generally so easy that when using Veeam across our data centers, there aren't many support issues that can't be solved quickly.

It took us about five weeks to install Veeam in our environments and to implement it with our various solutions. We did not have much trouble with the initial setup, and it wasn't very difficult to work with.

We have implemented Veeam in-house, as it is very important for us to do it this way when it comes to backups and data replication.

We pay yearly licensing fees for Veeam in our data centers where we're using disaster recovery and replication between our many solutions, especially cloud solutions. From the beginning, we've done our licensing from a separate channel through our data center team in Seattle.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a good backup product but it definitely needs more complexity when it comes to supporting different types of systems and applications. That said, it works perfectly for how we use it in our Microsoft solutions and I know we will continue to use it.

I would rate Veeam Backup and Replication a ten out of ten.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.