Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Provides automated recovery verification for both backups and replicas

What is our primary use case?

I'm actually a consultant, so I deploy it for my customers — quite a few of them.

Our clients are partly interested in backing up their application servers and their environment — that's the first priority. Some of our clients have gone a bit further into remote disaster recovery, off-site disaster recovery. They replicate to another location for those purposes.

Our clients are small to medium-sized companies.

What is most valuable?

There are a few of them. It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great — I think that works quite well. I've compared Veeam with other products and to me, it works the best of the lot.

What needs improvement?

Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while. In some cases, we have experienced fluctuations in performance. For example, yesterday we performed a synthetic full backup. Normally, this takes less than 90 minutes, but other times, it takes well more than six hours to get 40% of the way.

Other than that, I find that it does what is expected and maybe a bit more. I also don't think that I've really tapped into all of the features of it as yet.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly 10 years.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very stable.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not really investigated all of the features, and one of them is potentially more scalability than anything else. Regarding what little I have done so far, it seems to be pretty scalable. I do have a couple of projects in the works that I'm going to push out a bit more, so I won't be able to give a fair assessment until I have gone through those projects.

I would say it is good. I'm trying to remember when the last time was that I had to call technical support. I think they're very satisfactory overall.

I think that the support resources are adequate. They're pretty good, actually. At the moment, I can't think of anything in terms of technical support and the community support that is lacking.

The initial setup is straightforward. There were no major issues. Well, there was one issue, but that was with an older version of it. For some reason, it would not work on a machine that was part of a domain, but I got that sorted out using a later version of the software.

Regarding deployment, I was able to install the software myself. I had it up and running in a couple of days. We went through a period of more than a week to ensure that the backups were being done properly, were being finished properly. I would say within a couple of weeks it settled down and it's been working fine since then.

In terms of deployment, it usually takes one person. I installed it with a colleague — we're both Veeam certified, so that helps. From the point of view of the end-users, they seemed to grasp it pretty readily. At every institution, there are one or two people that are needed to maintain it — that's it. As I said, it's stable and relatively simple to use. My customers are satisfied with it.

Some of our clients were using solutions like Arc-Serv, Backup Exec. There are a couple of clients who actually evaluated NAKIVO and Veeam a few years ago. There was one client that was comparing Commvault to Veeam. They eventually went with Commvault, but a lot of that has to do with the support of AS400 symbols. They were able to manage their backup costs and a number of different environments using Commvault.

A number of my clients moved from physical machines to virtual ones. They were using primarily Arc-Serv and Veritas Backup Exec, which proved to be a bit inadequate for new virtual environments. It was never seamless. It was never as straightforward as you would have liked. With NAKIVO, we found that it tended to be easier to deal with. Still, even though one of our customers did go with NAKIVO, after a couple of years, they actually moved onto Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others.

I've been using it for a number of years and the bottom line is — it works very well and is simple to use. Within an hour or two, my customers are comfortable enough to be able to create their jobs and monitor job progress, etc. If it works for them, it works for me.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Version 10
More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.