Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Great support, easy restore feature, and quite scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

It is used for the virtual environment, which includes virtual Windows servers being on ESX or Hyper-V. It is also used for databases and Exchange in these environments.

We are using version 10. The latest version is 11, but we are not eager to use that because it came out only two weeks ago, and that is not enough for us.

What is most valuable?

Its ease of use for restore is really good. For Exchange, the Exchange Active Directory is great.

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the features can be improved. Currently, there is no segregation of duty. Normally, any backup software or client service software is implemented in a way where one person is responsible for the implementation of the server, and one is responsible for the client, but Veeam Backup & Replication is not implemented in that way. Therefore, restores don't work like that. The backup guys have to do the restores, which is not a good thing.

Its pricing should also be improved. It is quite expensive.

I have been using this solution for more than 12 months.

It is quite stable, but you cannot compare it to IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect is more stable than Veeam.

It is quite scalable. We are planning to increase its usage. Its scalability is linear. You have more and more virtual systems and fewer physical systems. IBM Spectrum Protect is more for physical systems, and Veeam is for virtual systems.

Their technical support is great. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

It is complex. You certainly need some external guidance for this. The deployment itself is not a big thing. It is the creation of the architecture that is complex. You have to create an architecture that fits your needs.

We can do it ourselves.

Veeam is quite expensive. There are no additional costs to the licensing fees. IBM Spectrum Protect is also expensive.

They should improve its pricing. They raise the price every time there is an increase in the features of the product. They should think twice about that.

We had a look around, but we decided on Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.