Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Requires better integration with database components and cloud services; VM backups are good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for application servers, web servers on Linux, Windows, AIX, databases, Db2, Sybase, Oracle and the like.

What is most valuable?

I think this solution does VM back ups very well.

What needs improvement?

I find this product to be rather weak when it comes to database integration and that really is problematic. It needs to have better integration with the database components as well as the cloud-based services.

I've been using this solution for about a year.

At the moment, this product is not very stable.

I think it is horizontally scalable, but not vertically very scalable. It tends to run into issues with regards to performance if you require vertical scalability.

In South Africa, the technical support is average. They should respond more quickly and be more customer friendly. The rep really needs to be more knowledgeable.

We previously used Veritas.

The initial setup was quite complex and took us a few months to install. We used a partner and vendor for the installation because we had a lot of problems. As a result, we're not sure if we'll continue with the solution or choose an alternative.

We chose Veeam because the licensing was cheap and we got a special deal from them.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't really recommend this solution. In terms of the integration of this solution, we're finding it doesn't do everything it promises. There is a difference between what the sales people tell you and the reality. Because of the issues we've had, I rate this solution four out of 10.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.