Veeam Backup & Replication Review
We used Netvault, but Veeam is far more flexible.

Valuable Features

-Reliable consistent Backups/Restores

-Ease of use despite doing complex work

-Replication

Improvements to My Organization

a. Other than it has saved us from hours of work not having to rebuild servers and the many times it has helped us recover data that was valuable, I don't know how to translate that into money, but it's no small thing.

b. This one is HUGE: We moved our entire data center, from one physical location to another, mind you we are 24 hour operation with sites across the state relying on the systems being up, and we never lost one hour of downtime. We used Veeam Backup and Recovery to migrate our entire Vmware Farm from old location to the new. It was awesome.

Room for Improvement

Tape support is there, but needs improvement. Netvault beats in that area. But most of our backups are to disk then to tape; but also copy to disk DR (in development). Reporting is lacking unless you get additional product. Very basic reporting. This would an easy area to improve upon.

Use of Solution

6 to 7 years.

We have had some hiccups with it once in a great while. Nothing major, and nothing that would stop me from recommending it.

Good to Excellent.

Good.

Yes. We used Netvault (still use it in limited way). Veeam is far more flexible.

Straightforward. We did not have to read volumes and volumes of tech docs. Interface was intuitive.

Implementation Team

In-house team.

ROI

No sure I have numbers - how about millions?

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is priced per Socket. We have licensed 24 servers, 2 Sockets per server. Enterprise Edition.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes. Netvault, Vranger, commvault, and some others. I chose Veeam Backup after evaluating others because of it's reliability, ease of use and features.

Other Advice

Do a test. Have good hardware to run on and to backup to. Best to have SAN aware backups which require you give access to the storage cards to LUNS that you are backing up. Either iSCSI or Fiber. Network backups work, but much faster with SAN aware.

1 visitor found this review helpful