Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Good product and good technical support

What is most valuable?

The replication features and data recovery technology.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to turn the data recovery process over to technicians instead of allowing only engineers to recover customer data. Another big bonus, is that the data recovery process was fairly simple and fast.

What needs improvement?

Cost. At the time this was one of the most expensive backup software available. Compared to StorageCraft that was more than half the cost for a virtual machine agent.

I did trying to get the initial backups to run on for a SQL Server. It was stopping a service for some odd reason when trying to run the backup. Also had some speed issues due to running multiple jobs at once.

Not really. Just your typical growing pains of a new technology.

The cost of adding additional sockets. It was a lot more than just purchasing an additional agent like you would for Backup Exec or StorageCraft.

The customer service with Veeam is great. One of the best I have ever had to deal with.

The technical support is great. I have had to turn to them a few times for some very complex issues. They were very patient and knowledgeable.

Previously my customers were using tapes and Backup Exec. Tapes are just a disaster waiting to happen, and backup exec did not provide an image based backup solution.

The setup for me was pretty straight forward. Install the software on a dedicated server, configure the jobs and leave it alone.

This solution was setup in house. We did not use a vendor to configure it, since my company acted as an IT provider for the company we were implementing it for.

Varied by client and their infrastructure needs.

Yes. Storage Craft, Datto, UniTrends

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
1 Comment

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTop 5Real User

Nice review. If you have speed issues depending on your environment look to deploying a Proxy server or two as they help to speed backups. We have a physical backup server but I have 5 proxy servers deployed one per host to assist with SAN based backups.