Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Great product, Veeam works with both VMware and HyperV, integrates well.

What is most valuable?

Instant recovery of a VM, ease of use for item level recovery, ability to also send disk to disk jobs to tape for meeting retention policies.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to instantly recover VMs from catastrophic failures to point in time and recover files easily without the long wait of searching and restoring from tape.

What needs improvement?

The ability to back up physical servers from within the same Product and not as a separate module. This would keep Veeam in the front of other competing products that offer both physical and virtual backup solutions.

5 years.

No deployment issues.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Support has been phenomenal when I have needed it and I have always been able to resolve my issue and gain a better understanding of how the product works.

The level of support I have received has been top notch, problems have been escalated as needed and without prodding for the need of additional assistance and the engineers I have worked have been both friendly and easy to comprehend when discussing both the issues and the solutions.

In the past we were using a traditional physical backup solution -Symantec Backup Exec which made restores quite difficult in the event of a complete VM restore. We needed a solution that was more in line with the virtual realm and we discovered Veeam when attending VMworld and we were quick to setup a lab to test the product and were completely satisfied with what we'd found.

It was very straight forward and easy to learn.

We did the install and setup in house with minimal support and once we licensed the product we made calls to support only when trying to understand the best practices for configuration and how to achieve the results we expected.

This product has more than made up for the initial costs of licensing, hardware and support. In more than one occasion we have been faced with what would normally be hours of downtime in the days of tape restores to being backup in minutes.

At the time we had been looking at various solutions that were coming up for backup and restore of virtual environments; WMware's own Backup solution is the first to come to mind. We strongly considered this but were debating pricing and it was at this time we discovered Veeam and it seemed to be the answer both technically and financially.