Veeam Backup & Replication Review
It's hard to put an actual number on ROI. When you recover a document/server and look like a hero -- priceless.

Valuable Features

Ease of use, ease of setup, and ease of recovery.

Improvements to My Organization

• As long as you are good with your grouping of servers, the dedupe process is wonderful.
  • Once installed and configured, it just works. The management dashboard is pretty easy to use and very easy to read.
  • On top of the easy to configure and manage, it is also lightning fast during recovery. It took just 20 minutes to recover a 500GB Windows Server.
  • Since the product connects directly to your vcenter, most of the traffic stays within your virtual switching environment, making backups run that much faster.

Room for Improvement

This product is for virtual environments only. Which means it cannot backup physical servers. Most, but not all, software support VMWare and VMWare environments but on the rare occasion (like with us) when a vendor requires a physical machine to operate, it means we have to have a different backup process.

Use of Solution

I have used this product for 4 years as my primary backup solution for my VMWare environment.

No. The deployment was very easy and self-explanatory.

One of the great things with this software is that it is designed to do one job: backup virtual machines. It isn’t trying to manage anti-virus, or deploy images, it is strictly a backup process. I have no issues with stability.

As we grew, it handled the workload marvelously. As long as it has enough space to store the backups, it will work without any issues.

Very friendly and very responsive.

I am going to say great, but the truth is, I have never had to use them. They sold me the product 4 years ago, I installed the software, and haven’t had any issues.

Yes. I used the Symantec suite of products. I switched because it became bloated with different items and it tried to manage more things than what I wanted it for.

Very straightforward. You put in your ESX or vCenter information and you are connected and ready to go.

Implementation Team

In-house.

ROI

The software itself was less expensive than Symantec. But it is kind of hard to put an actual number on it because when you recover a document or a server for someone and it makes you look like a hero, it is priceless.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Management of Veeam is easy. It notifies me everyday of the progress of the backups. The setup costs were normal. Cost of OS, Veeam Software, and shared hardware (virtual environment).

Other Solutions Considered

Yes. We also evaluated Barracuda’s cloud product.

Other Advice

I cannot speak highly enough of this product. It has made backup and recovery so much easier. Veeam’s motto of “it just works”, is 100% accurate. It is quite literally a point and click product that doesn’t require special client installs to servers.