Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Veeam launches like a rocket and delves into the feature list of VMware. It's been an overall improvement.

What is most valuable?

The backup and blocklevel incremental backup, where daily full backups are done. Also the hotcopy feature is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It's been an overall improvement many places at our client sites where almost everyone runs vm's or Hyper-V.

What needs improvement?

Nothing in particular, Veeam launches like a rocket and delves into the featurelist of VMware, for example, and tie their development close together with the devs coming from VMware or Microsoft.

Since early 2008 when Veeam entered the scene.

Never had any issues that couldn’t be dealt with from an admin pov.

Its running rock steady, so there isn’t any issues in my/our end.

It scales 100% its just a matter of licenses pr cpu, so as long as your compliant it runs like it should.

Rating in level from 1-10 where 10 is the best i would rate it 10.

Rating in level from 1-10 where 10 is the best i would rate it 10.

Yes used many different solutions, but no one were as great as Veeam when talking virtual backups.

Yes more or less, its been improved over the years and now version 8 is ready and even more potent.

We are an IT consultancy business doing implemetations ourself, so 100% done by us at N2IT.

ROI is compared to for example running CommVault returned many times, this is due to the flexibility ion license models etc. And also in terms of space utilization. Veeam does full daily backups with whats called synthetic backup streams of some sort, it takes all block changes and stream those into the latest backup and there create a full backup as well as restore pointers.

Setup cost is a variable, but take the number of cpu´s and multiply that with the license cost as well as a target for backup storage and you have the price.

Yes evaluated vRanger and PHP backup and also Symantec. No one met the requirements.

We decided on Veeam because we were much more integrated into VMware core and you didn't have to script yourself out of alot of tideous tasks to get things working.

Veeam worked out of the box and was a tight close match to what we knew Windows-wise.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing beats Veeam when it comes to Backup in a virtual environment. Just go for it, Veeam won’t let you down.

3 visitors found this review helpful
3 Comments
author avatarSr. Marketing Campaign Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees

Short and to the point review.

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTOP 5Real User

Excellent review. Veeam is top notch for backup and recovery that is for sure. 9.5 Update 1 is also very nice for vSphere 6.5 compatibility.

author avatarUser
User

Very nice review! Veeam is defiantly a great very costly solution but the recover time is great. I think the best bang for your buck on the market today would be Paragon protect and Restore. Centrally managed hybrid solution for both your physical and virtual environment. We currently use their software and it's the most cost effective scalable solution on the market today. You get everything you need from one SKU, deduplication, replication, granular recovery of Microsoft exchange and more. Checkout this review of backup exec 16 VS Paragon