Veeam Backup & Replication Review

​Performance of the replica when booting during an emergency could be better. Veeam is an excellent option.

What is most valuable?

The instant recovery and quick boot of the replicas. Ability to boot replicas from a de-duplication storage device (degraded performance).

How has it helped my organization?

During a "zero day" virus outbreak that caused several critical systems to fail, the ability to boot and run a "replica" that hadn't been infected yet kept the business running and productive.

What needs improvement?

Performance of the replica when booting during an emergency. Only a few critical systems can be booted this way due to the loads on secondary storage appliances. This isn't really a problem, more of a limitation of the hardware devices we used for implementation.

I used this product for Virtual Machine replication to a D/R site and also as a secondary backup and recovery over two years.

Deployment went smoothly and without and major sticking points or issues.

Occasionally, we would experience slowness on our network that would cause Veeam to get "out-of-sync" with the replicas. This was easily corrected, but seemed to be overly sensitive to bandwidth and connection speed.

No issues.

Excellent. Very responsive, patient and professional when needed.

Excellent.

No, this was a new build-out where no previous solution had existed.

Very straightforward and intuitive.

We collaborated with a vendor but did 70% of the implementation with internal personal.

Excellent. The savings to lost work time during the virus outbreak alone saved the company work loss time for 150+ employees for two days.

Initial setup was under $3,000.00 including consultants and employee time. Day to day costs are very minimal with simply adding a new VM to one of the replication folders after deployment.

Yes. Backup Exec and Zerto were considered, but Veeam was chosen for better recoveries and easier administration.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research and comparison studies that are specific for your business. Not all products are best for every business, no matter how good they are. Veeam is an excellent option and was ultimately the best choice for our environment.