Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Transparent and easy to use, which improves usability and manageability for the daily operations a backup/system administrator performs.

What is most valuable?

It is important that a backup product delivers what it promises. As backup features are important, so are restore features. The ability of Veeam Backup & Replication suite to restore various items in a granular and fast way (RPO & RTO importance) is key for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam B&R software is transparent and easy to use, which improves usability and manageability for the daily operations a backup/system administrator performs. Setting up a backup application/infrastructure is one thing, but to keep it operational without having to deal with big issues is another. I barely encounter situations where Veeam B&R setup disappoints our customers.

What needs improvement?

Two months ago, I would have said the integration of Veeam Endpoint Backup with Veeam B&R, but this is covered by now with Veeam 8 U2. The feature that a few customers are waiting is SharePoint item restores via redirected SQL, instead of having to install a staging SQL instance on the Veeam B&R backup server.

I've been installing and configuring it for three and a half years.

Every IT environment has it's specific needs and caveats. Of course I encountered some minor issues when deploying Veeam, but this is mostly related to the IT environment itself. Rare issues are logged with, and solved by Veeam support.

No issues encountered.

No, Veeam B&R provides a flexible way of working and scaling with the breakdown of different functionalities (proxies, repositories etc.).

In all the cases where I had to contact Veeam customer service, a solution was delivered within a short timeframe.

In all the cases where I had to contact Veeam Technical support, a solution was delivered within a short timeframe.

I have experience with Backup Exec. The backup/restore capabilities are far away from the Veeam Suite.

It's straightforward.

We are installing/configuring Veeam in customer environments.

As system integrator we offer various backup/replication products. I have no personal hands-on experience with other products except Backup Exec, and Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to make a correct design which maps on your IT environment needs. A simple Veeam POC can be setup to validate the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Premium Partners
1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTOP 5Real User

Great point about scalability and you need to ensure you do separate components. Especially for using say SAN based backups Proxy servers play a big role. Nice article.

author avatarSystems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees

Your one comment about the SQL staging server has now been resolved with the addition of the guest interaction proxy in Version 9