2017 q2 veeam logo 80 80

Veeam Backup & Replication Review
It has item-level recovery for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint, as well as backups for recoverability tests (SureBackup) and from storage snapshots (3PAR).

Valuable Features

• Backup recoverability tests (SureBackup)
  • Backup from storage snapshots (3PAR)
  • Item-level recovery for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint
  • Virtual lab and on-demand sandboxes

Improvements to My Organization

Backups and restoration are 100% successful, plus we have the ability to automate backup recoverability tests.

Room for Improvement

Physical workload protection and item level recovery for Linux-based systems.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

Never. This is the strength of the product.

Some minor issues such as feature bugs. They have all been solved by a support call or through a product update.

Before 6.0, yes, as the product was monolithic and didn't scale well. After 6.0, they changed the design to a scale-out design that fits any size. I haven't yet reached the limit of the product.

8/10.

8/10 as they are pretty reactive and can engage in cross-vendor problem resolution, which is is not the way with all their competitors. Regarding the fact it is a backup solution, this is a crucial point for me.

• VMWare VDR
  • Symantec NetBackup
  • VizionCore

They were either too slow or too buggy to have a reliable backup solution.

It was straightforward, and this is the DNA of this product. It is very simple to install and to operate.

Implementation Team

It was installed in-house within a few hours. I now work for a vendor and I have installed the product for hundreds of customers.

ROI

At the time I was a customer, it took something like three months because of a big storage system outage. Moreover, their pricing is based on the number of CPU sockets in your virtualization environment. I would even say that the longer you use the product, the cheaper it becomes. This is due to the core density of newer CPUs - we aren't buying more CPUs, just CPUs with more cores.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I think enterprise level is a good way to go if you don't have 3PAR or NetApp storage in-house; otherwise, switch to Enterprise Plus to have the best-in-class backup solution at the moment.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared our existing solutions to Veeam.

Other Advice

Just give it a try. Download the product, install-it and test it. The best way to know what it can do and what it can't is to test it through a proof of concept.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller of Veeam products.
1 visitor found this review helpful