Veeam Backup & Replication Review

It has item-level recovery for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint, as well as backups for recoverability tests (SureBackup) and from storage snapshots (3PAR).

What is most valuable?

• Backup recoverability tests (SureBackup)
  • Backup from storage snapshots (3PAR)
  • Item-level recovery for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint
  • Virtual lab and on-demand sandboxes

How has it helped my organization?

Backups and restoration are 100% successful, plus we have the ability to automate backup recoverability tests.

What needs improvement?

Physical workload protection and item level recovery for Linux-based systems.

I've used it for six years.

Never. This is the strength of the product.

Some minor issues such as feature bugs. They have all been solved by a support call or through a product update.

Before 6.0, yes, as the product was monolithic and didn't scale well. After 6.0, they changed the design to a scale-out design that fits any size. I haven't yet reached the limit of the product.

8/10.

8/10 as they are pretty reactive and can engage in cross-vendor problem resolution, which is is not the way with all their competitors. Regarding the fact it is a backup solution, this is a crucial point for me.

• VMWare VDR
  • Symantec NetBackup
  • VizionCore

They were either too slow or too buggy to have a reliable backup solution.

It was straightforward, and this is the DNA of this product. It is very simple to install and to operate.

It was installed in-house within a few hours. I now work for a vendor and I have installed the product for hundreds of customers.

At the time I was a customer, it took something like three months because of a big storage system outage. Moreover, their pricing is based on the number of CPU sockets in your virtualization environment. I would even say that the longer you use the product, the cheaper it becomes. This is due to the core density of newer CPUs - we aren't buying more CPUs, just CPUs with more cores.

I think enterprise level is a good way to go if you don't have 3PAR or NetApp storage in-house; otherwise, switch to Enterprise Plus to have the best-in-class backup solution at the moment.

We compared our existing solutions to Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

Just give it a try. Download the product, install-it and test it. The best way to know what it can do and what it can't is to test it through a proof of concept.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller of Veeam products.
More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users