Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We've been able to perform granular restores of Exchange mailboxes, though we've yet to use the full restore functionality.

What is most valuable?

Regular backup/recovery is the main feature, but I really like the Exchange mailbox recovery tool, and the ability to isolate test environments.

It is really easy to use as well, and it's a powerful backup/recovery solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Fortunately, we have not had to use the restore functionality (touch wood), but it does give us the reassurance that we can perform a restore if needed, in a real situation as well as performing regular testing in our virtual lab. The other functionality that has really had an impact is being able to granually restore Exchange mailboxes.

What needs improvement?

I really cannot think of any areas that stand out as needing improvement right now, to be honest.

We've used Veeam for two years. We started with the free version of Veeam ONE, then we paid for Backup Essentials because we were so pleased with it.

Not at all, we found it to be extremely intuitive to install, really clearly letting us know of any issues across network at each stage so could easily remedy.

Not at all, we've had no issue with stability.

Absolutely no problems with scaling.

Really highly, we did have an issue with type of license purchased (we accidentally ordered Hyper-V version instead of the one we needed) and the customer service team who resolved it was top notch. We were issued with a temporary full license to cover the period that they took to sort it out so we could continue to use the software. Brilliant.

We have not really needed technical support as we have found it to be really easy and intuitive to install and use. The documentation, when needed, has also been very comprehensive.

This is the first product that we have used to back up VMware ESXi. VM servers so do not have anything to compare against. Having said that, we have no reason to look for an alternative.

It's really easy, if there are any issues with things like firewall/ports that should be open, the software tells you exactly what the problem is and what's needed to fix it. Very impressed with this.

It was all done by our in-house IT team.

The ROI is difficult to calculate but the product has returned our original investment many times, in terms of insuring systems uptime across our business.

The original set-up cost was only the license fee (£636+vat), plus minimal internal IT costs to set up.

We did try Unitrends backup solution but really preferred Veeam’s offering.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead with the implementation as I think it's the best product on market today for VMware ESXi disaster recovery. It really is straightforward to install and use, with some really nice features.

More Veeam Backup & Replication reviews from users