Veeam Backup & Replication Review

We can now leverage in-box Windows deduplication, giving us longer retention times and spaces to spare on our backup targets.​

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Robustness
  • Scalability

How has it helped my organization?

Saves IT operations a lot of time and frustration.

Also, the ROI for our CFO is tremendous whereas we did not have data deduplication on our previous backup product, unless licensed at a cost higher/GB than buying storage. We can now leverage in-box Windows deduplication with excellent results. We have longer retention times and spaces to spare on our backup targets.

What needs improvement?

For now we’re pretty happy, but we’d like the ability to schedule.

Also, the configuration and fine tuning of the Fibre Channel based off host proxy where we leverage the SAN hardware VSS provider took some work and effort.

I've used it for around 12 months.

None, we did an extensive POC to get to know the product which helped us roll it out smoothly.

Once due to a Windows update. Veeam fixed this extremely rapidly.

For now we have not. As long as you make sure to take care of any hardware bottle necks in the solution (source, target, network) we have been very happy with the results.

It's excellent.

Veeam’s technical support is very good, and their responsiveness in fixing issues like the one we had once after a Windows update sets an industry standard.

We did, but I cannot disclose names. We left them because they were too expensive, not focused on customer needs, and in regards to virtualization they dropped the ball big time.

It was straightforward initially, but see above re: configuration and fine-tuning.

We did all the work in-house.

The ROI lies in the fact that we spend a lot less time dealing with failed and problematic backups.

We spent time setting up a live POC to make sure Veeam B&R could deliver in our real world environment. After deciding to purchase it, we got it up and running with minimal effort. We’d done most of our testing & validation of the configuration in the POC.

We did, but I cannot disclose names.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a trial license, get hands on experience with the product, ask for help when you need it and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what it delivers.