Veeam Backup & Replication Review

I can quickly restore an entire VM even in a test environment.​

Valuable Features

The Backup Enterprise Manager is great as it allows me to see and manage all backup jobs from multiple Backup servers. The ability to create separate backup and replication jobs and also create failover plans. The Direct NFS Access is also a great feature for backing up VMs on our Tintri storage.

Improvements to My Organization

Previously we had been using a CDP based backup solution where an agent was installed on the guest OS. Besides taking longer to configure backups, performing a BMR was much more complicated and required creating a new VM and using a boot disk. Using Veeam has made the entire process much easier and I can quickly restore an entire VM even in a test environment.

Room for Improvement

By default, I use “Enable parallel processing” which is great to have multiple jobs run at the same time. I would like the option to disable this within the Backup Job so certain jobs run sequentially instead. Reason being, I may have an application that runs on several different VMs that I would like to keep in a single Backup Job, but if they backup at the same time such as the app server and SQL server, it causes spikes in the application. The only way around this is to create separate backup jobs scheduled to run at different times.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for two years.

We had no issues with the deployment.

With Veeam v7 in conjunction with vSphere 5.5 using vSphere Flash Read Cache (vFRC), I started seeing issues with Veeam backups either failing or VM Snapshots constantly needing consolidation. This was directly related to vFRC which a stopped using in favor of a better solution.

Scaling out is very easy, especially with the newly added feature “Scale-out Backup Repository”.

Customer service has always been excellent.

Technically support has always been excellent, although rarely needed.

Setup was not too complicated, but I do recommend deciding how you are going to use the Backup Proxies and design around that. There are a few options for backups such are Direct Storage Access, Virtual Appliance, and Network. The Network backup is great with a 10Gb network, but I recently switched to take advantage of the Direct NFS Access. I have also used the Direct Storage Access with NetApp when it was added to version 8, but this has since been replaced with Tintri storage. There is also a matter of the Guest interaction proxy that does application-aware processing for Exchange, SQL, Domain Controllers, etc. I tend to set this up with more restrictions so not all proxies can access all subnets. Veeam does automatically select the correct proxy based on subnet which makes it easy once you have completed your initial setup.

Implementation Team

I designed and implemented it myself.

ROI

I am using the Veeam Service Provider solution where you pay per VM that is being backed up. So, the ROI is basically from the day you deploy it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

If you are an Enterprise and you think the price tag may be high, contact a Veeam Service Provider and see how they can help.

Other Advice

Make sure you do your research before deciding to purchase a different product other than Veeam even if that include reaching out to someone like myself that has used the product. You will see other products that don’t use snapshots and claim to be better, or don’t cause VM stun because their product is different. The fact is a lot of this depends on your underlying infrastructure especially storage. If your infrastructure is old or using slow storage, then any product may not be easy to implement without issues.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. I really like that suggestion about Parallel Processing option within a job as you mentioned. It makes sense to have this for jobs that contain multiple servers for an Application. Hopefully Veeam implements this in a future version.

12 April 16