Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Includes useful features for a virtualized environment such as those based on VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V.

Valuable Features

It has very strong and useful features for a virtualized environment such as those based on VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V. The backup software management is user friendly.

Improvements to My Organization

Backing up a virtual environment is quicker than our previous solution.

Room for Improvement

I am expecting better support for physical tape copy. Support for backing up physical servers from the open area such as Windows and Linux servers with bare-metal restore functionality needs improvement. Support for the NDMP protocol for the several NAS devices.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for years.

I had some issues at the start of the project with the performance. The problem was solved after analyzing and setting changes. I have not solved an issue with MS SQL Always-on servers with transaction lag backup. The case has so far been opened for half-year.

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

They are very useful.

I am currently also using using HPE Data Protector and Unitrends UEB.

It was very simple, but after deploying the software it needed improvements in the settings to reach the goal.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Other Advice

Look at the price for the support. It is very high. Close the deal with -5 years support from the beginning.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're business partners
1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Veeam is always improving the tape support but whether they go the Physical server route that is to still be seen. They do have the Endpoint backup software which does work very well as I use that on my physical backup servers for Veeam.

31 May 16