2017 q2 veeam logo 80 80

Veeam Backup & Replication Review

Valuable Features

Application data recovery works great in our environment especially restoring MS Exchange mailbox items. There are cases where emails or attachments which can back date to more than 12 months old are needed by users.

Improvements to My Organization

Backup and recovery windows have been significantly improved. By using an adequate number of backup proxies, more jobs can be executed simultaneously. Image replication for DRP and Sure backup to verify data consistency have also met our audit criteria for data protection objectives.

Room for Improvement

We expect to see more integrations from the software company with storage vendors. Especially on dedupe appliances and non unified storage arrays. This will help us to cut down the storage investment cost and have more flexibility on hardware choices. Also, there are demands to protect data on end user computers and devices. Hope to see more update in this area in near future.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We have experienced slow backup performance, however it was been rectified in the latest release, and they have added a feature for processing parallel jobs.

With limited storage space available, we have to use reverse incremental backup to keep only one set of full backup on the latest date. This helps us to manage the free space and make sure fast recovery always available.

The tech support is always there to help out but you need to take note of the time difference. They don't seems to have dedicated resource to cover the APAC time zone from what I have experienced.

Setup is straightforward, so just follow the wizard, but make sure you've got a plan for your storage sizing and backup retention policy. The challenging part will always be the sizing and how you place your backup proxy to make sure backup performance is top.

Implementation Team

We performed an in-house setup. You need to make sure there is a proper planning especially if snapshot backup is needed on storage array. This feature makes sure that no VM snapshot committed to a virtual server can cause a ping drop, and this is crucial on sensitive servers. The requirement to make it happen is likely to have the Veeam server running on a physical box with direct connectivity to storage array.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Worth the money especially if you have high consolidation ratio per physical host.

Other Solutions Considered

I have tried a few other products, some of them are meant for multi-platform (virtual and physical), or as a native backup solution. We ended up with Veeam as we are a fully virtualized environment and the features and product capabilities have met our requirements.

Other Advice

It suits all the needs for a fully virtualized environment, just make sure you have proper planning on the storage sizing.

3 visitors found this review helpful
Chris2Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

1 Comment

Great review. I liked hearing about your Exchange backups and restores as we are in the process of virtualizing our Exchange to get away from Symantec. Also using Proxies is great and helps with backup times. I am especially looking forward to 9.5 with the Nimble integration coming since we are a Nimble shop.

Like (0)31 May 16