Veeam Backup & Replication Review
Instant VM Recovery is valuable as it provides us with rapid recovery of failed/lost VMs with a low recovery time objective (RTO).

Valuable Features

Sure Backup is valuable because of its capability to test every backup of virtual machines. Instant VM Recovery is also valuable as it provides us with rapid recovery of failed/lost VMs with a low recovery time objective (RTO).

Improvements to My Organization

Using Veeam as a primary backup tool for the virtual environment we were able to reduce drastically the backup windows and offer better services for provisioning VMs for both the testing and development environments.

Room for Improvement

We would like the ability to backup physical servers. Most organizations still have some of their applications and services running on physical hardware and do not want to deal with multiple backup solutions.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for four years.

Main issues were related to sizing the correct infrastructure as Veeam solution needs many components (such as Proxy Servers, Repositories, WAN Accelerators, etc.) for a complete Backup & Replication solution. For medium/large environments, initial configuration may take some time.

We have had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

I've not yet had to use their tech support.

Veeam is very easy to setup. The installation is wizard-driven and will install any dependencies you might be missing.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house after receiving training from the vendor. In case your company does not have sufficient technical resources, the best option is to contract Professional Services from Veeam Partners.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The price is very attractive and probably the lowest on the market for an enterprise backup tool.

Other Solutions Considered

For only virtual backups I have evaluated TSM and CommVault. Veeam is by far the solution that delivers a complete set of features for a small price. And the administration is much more easy.

Other Advice

Do a PoC and compare cost x benefits with other solutions.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Veeam partner.